Sunday, November 22, 2009

When do you tell your kids to come home??

I haven't figured this one out...

When do you tell your kids, especially the ones that live away from home, to come home.. that death is coming soon? The doctor just shrugs and says, "well it will be less than 2 months."

OK...

SO...

They know she is "sick" and they even understand she's "terminal" -- but a young adult's life is full and joyous and full of things like final exams, sports, concerts, and papers and romance. Do I bore them with details? Do we derail their studies? Do we just wait and hope that she does time her passing for the semester break? (ain't gonna happen!)

Today she was sleeping and could barely put two words together when she was awake. She wasn't hungry or thirsty. She wasn't complaining, yet she had a lot of grimaces. The nurse says that it is involuntary spasms.

We'll have some kind of Thanksgiving dinner, but I am not sure it will be very 'happy'...

I am not looking forward to the process of grieving. I know it is work. I know it must be done. Right now I feel like I am suspended in mid-air, waiting to fall into that place of tears and relief...

But I still don't know when to tell the kids to come home...

anyone? anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

No comments: